Monday, December 29, 2008

I hate snow

I've just spend the longest 10 days of my life being stuck at home due to a huge snow storm. Amazingly enough I survived to tell the tale.

It all started on Dec 16. Hubby woke up and looked out the window at 6 in the morning. No snow. Just before he leaves for work he tells me that he's going to take my car (has 4wd) to work that day. It had already snowed enough in those 40 minutes to start sticking on the ground. I had no problem with that as I'd rather have him be on the road in a vehicle capable of having traction in the snow.

It snowed every day up to and including Christmas. At one point we had 10 inches and I know we got at least 2 more inches before the storm was over. There were a lot of things I was going to get done in that time. One was to take Connor to see Santa. I'm so disappointed that I didn't get to do that. Next year I will know to do it sooner rather than later.

Not only did I not get Connor's picture with Santa this year, but because of the weather our Christmas dinner didn't get delivered. My mom sent us a ham, which we still have not received, to be delivered on the 23rd. We still had a very delicious dinner but we had to much out to Fred Meyer to get it. Pickings were slim there and I would have rather had the ham than the over salty roast we got. By the time Christmas came around this year I could have given a crap less about it. I just wasn't in the mood and all I wanted to do was run away from here. I've found that I'm the sort of person that has to get out. Not every day, but it's nice to be able to get out while you can.

Connor actually did pretty well with being home bound. Much better than me anyway. He's lucky to have lots of movies, games, and toys to keep him busy. Still he got on my nerves and there was no where to take him so that I could get a little down time. It's weird how just going to Target can be so refreshing to the both of us. I was literally climbing the walls but I had no interest in doing any of my normal house chores. Instead I was more concerned with the snow piling up in the driveway and side walk.

Living in a cul de sac is really nice, unless it snows. Then you have miles of sidewalk to clear. Not a lot of neighbors cleared their sidewalks which according to the city you must do. I assume that's because if someone falls they can sue you for not keeping the sidewalk clear. Knowing some of the rift raft in the neighborhood I wouldn't put it past them to sue us. Another piece of hell about living in a cul de sac is dealing with idiot teenage kids that think it's fun to drive their car around and around and around the circle at 2 in the morning. Why couldn't they have crashed that car? Oh, that's right cause I'm just not that lucky! So on top of being annoyed by being stuck at home I had to deal with sleepless nights because of their stupidity. I was already exhausted from shoveling the driveway and sidewalk.

Oh another thing that bothered me by that fat slob that drives his car around at 2 in the morning is his snow man making abilities. People, snow men are not supposed to be filthy. That means do not roll a snow ball up and down the side walks for 3 hours trying to piece together a shitty snow man. Seriously, you are an adult and snow men are childish. Get off your fucking lazy ass and shovel snow like a man you fucking pussy.

The snow was a lot of work. I hated snow before it started falling and I hated it even worse while I was trapped at home with the walls closing in on me. Now the weather has changed back to rain. Great my second most hated weather. We've only just started winter and we still have 2 months and 3 weeks of this hell to go before the weather starts to get better. This is going to be another long winter.

Next year I will be more prepared for Xmas. I thought I was doing so well. We had the tree up after Thanksgiving, all the gifts were purchased and wrapped, and the lights were up on the house. I tried for the perfect Christmas for Connor and I feel that in a small way I let him down. *shakes fist at the snow*

No comments: